Research travel grants
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FGPS) recognizes that travel by Master's and PhD students in the pursuit of research for their theses is important. For this purpose, the FGPS will henceforth offer them grants for travel outside the city when circumstances require it. Travel that allows the direct collection of data for a thesis in progress will be considered. Students may conduct interviews, perform archival research or consult documents or works unavailable in the region, or may further develop their research processes by visiting a foreign lab (university or government).
Students enrolled in full-time studies at the University of Ottawa when the travel takes place are eligible.
For Master's programs with a thesis a single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed. At least two sessions but less than six sessions must have been completed when the travel takes place. This includes sessions with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
For PhD programs, a single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed. At least three sessions but less than twelve sessions must have been completed when the travel takes place. This includes sessions with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
Value of the grants
The grants may only be used to cover either travel expenses (train, plane, bus or other) or accommodation expenses (accommodation and meals). Other travel-related expenses will not be reimbursed.
Since May 1, 2008, the maximum grant is $550.
- Be studying full-time when the travel takes place;
- Complete the form and the required estimated budget;
- Clearly indicate how the travel is related to the thesis in progress;
- Ensure that the research director or the program director indicates his or her support for the application in the space provided for this purpose.
Applications are assessed at the end of each month.
Applications must be submitted BEFORE the travel takes place (no grants will be awarded after the fact) .
- Submit the application form and all supporting documents to room 213 of Hagen Hall (115 Séraphin Marion Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5).
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (sent to the student’s academic unit).
- Upon returning from the research stay, complete the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form and return it with the original receipts to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Wait for a cheque from the Faculty (issued to the order of the individual but sent to the educational unit).
Download the form