The School of Political Studies offers graduate programs leading to the degrees of Master of Arts (MA) and PhD in political science. The MA program is offered both full- and part-time whereas the PhD program is offered full-time only. The programs are offered in French and English.
1. It is possible to follow a Master’s or Ph.D. program uniquely in French.
2. Students who register in their program in French (MA or Ph.D.) must take the majority of their courses in French
• Master’s with Thesis: students must take at least three of their required courses in French
• Master’s with Major Research Paper: students must take at least four of their required courses in French
• Ph.D.: students must take at least three courses in French
3. Students who register in their program in English (MA or Ph.D.) must take and pass at least one of their required courses in French.
4. All students are permitted to hand in their assignments in French or in English.
5. At the time of admission, students must have an active knowledge of French and a passive understanding of English
6. French is the working language of the School’s meetings, including those of the graduate students’ association, and in the School’s internal communications.
Two options are available for the MA, the MA with thesis and the MA with research paper.
The Department offers a collaborative program in Canadian Studies at the PhD level. For more information on this program, see “Admission”.
The programs operate within the general framework of the general regulations of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FGPS) of the University of Ottawa, which are posted on the FGPS website.