Admission equivalencies font international students
As a first step, please consult our admission equivalencies to learn which diploma is necessary to apply for a Master's degree or a Ph.D.
The following information is intended as a GUIDELINE ONLY and is to be used as a reference for admission purposes only.
- For admission to a Master’s program or graduate diploma, the qualifications listed are normally recognized as equivalent to a University of Ottawa four-year honours bachelor’s degree, minimum overall 70% grade average (B).
- For admission to a PhD program, the qualifications listed are normally recognized as equivalent to a University of Ottawa Master’s degree, minimum overall 75% grade average (B+).
- Academic units may have higher requirements, and the assessment of any individual may be subject to additional criteria.
- Transcripts and reference letters will be verified for authenticity.
- Language Proficiency Certification can be required.
If you intend to undertake full-time studies on entry into Canada, you should inform the Canadian Immigration officials in your home country. Applicants should not leave for Canada until they have in their possession a Offer of Admission issued only by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies of the University of Ottawa, and a Study Permit (IMM 1442) valid for study at the University of Ottawa, issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
For supplementary information on study permits, consult the Web site of the University’s International Office.
Please note that students from some countries also require a temporary resident visa before they are permitted to study in Canada, consult Citizenship and Immigration Canada.